GNUCash - Multi-user

David Harrison davidharrisoncga at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:20:29 EST 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:05:24 -0500, Jean-David Beyer
<jdbeyer at exit109.com> wrote:
> Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Right now there's not a good multi-user gnucash solution.  You can
> > have multiple users serially use gnucash, but not simultaneously.
> > We're working to recitify that situation, but that wont be solved
> > until at LEAST the next major release.
> >
> Do I misunderstand the term multi-user?

Yes

> I run Linux and have (at least) two users (each with his own login) that
> use GnuCash. Each has his own accounts and his own files (in particular,
> $HOME/GnuCash/*). I have never had it happen that both users were using
> the gnucash program at the same time, but it seems to me that it would
> work unless the gnucash implimentation is rather different from what I
> would imagine it to be. I would call what I was doing multi-user, and it
> seems inherent in Linux (or UNIX) that GnuCash would be multi-user in my
> sense of the term just because the OS is multi-user.
>
> Could it be that the term multi-user is referring to multiple users trying
> to use the same database (files in somewhere/GnuCash/*)? I can see why
> that would not be implimented yet, but it is not clear that many would
> wish to use it that way.

Yes, more than one user accessing the same database.  This would be
used in a business setting where the duties are divided amongst
several people.  For example, one person takes care of A/P, another
A/R, yet another payroll.  This is quite common in larger businesses,
and also a very good idea (the separate job functions that is).

--
David Harrison, BAccS, CGA