bank account interest

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Fri Feb 11 06:55:42 EST 2005

Haichuan Yang wrote:
> Is there any way for Gnucash to calculate the interest on a bank
> account, and automatically enter the interest as an interest income?
> One will have to enter the initial account balance, interest rate,
> compound method (monthly) etc, to make this happen. Or does one have to
> enter manually the interest say, each month?

I do not see how GnuCash could calculate the interest on a bank account,
at least how the various banks I have had accounts do it. They change the
interest rates from time to time (lowering the rates, mostly), and GnuCash
would have no idea of that unless you told it. And you have no practical
way of knowing when they do that except by guessing that they are doing
that and calling them to find out, or by looking at your statement.

I even have an account (not at a bank, but at a stock brokers) where they
change the rate every week, so in a given month, four different interest
rates are applied. Just how is GnuCash supposed to deal with something
like that?

Easier just to enter it.

  ^^-^^ 06:50:00 up 22 days, 15:05, 3 users, load average: 2.39, 2.79, 3.01