OFX Importer and Transaction Matcher

Berck E. Nash flyboy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 11:52:16 EST 2005

I converted to GnuCash from Quicken some months ago and have found the
GnuCash transaction matcher to be less than adequate.  It makes some
really bad choices when it comes to matching transactions.  Sometimes it
ignores check numbers (which should be a GIVEN match), it matches things
with different amounts but similar names...  How can a transaction be a
match if they're different amounts?!?

I've been unable to find out if I can do anything to tweak the way the
matching works, but have been content to go through and manually fix all
its mistakes until recently.

The last couple of weeks I've been unable to match some transactions
manually!  The transaction matcher only presents the wrong transactions
as choices, and doesn't display the correct ones!  It seems like ANY
uncleared transaction should be a candidate for a match, particularily
transactions with the same check numbers and amounts!

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Should I check and/or file a bug report?