question about income account when a sale occurs

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 13 09:55:43 EST 2005

John Griessen <john_g at cibolo.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I mostly do service, and sometimes inventory materials and sell them.  I use
> hand written invoices often and wish to skip using a gnucash invoice on many
> simple sales of service and materials, so I create two transactions when I buy
> material, first I transfer from asset:checking to COGS, then transfer from COGS
> to asset:inventory.   When I receive a payment for that invoice, I am creating a
> split transaction with portions allocated to income:services and income:sales.
>

> This is where I am confused...  I want to decrease inventory, so I make a
> trasaction transfer from asset:inventory to asset:checking in the amount of a
> sale, but how to have  account income:sales increase just as income:services does?

I think you're accounting for COGS improperly..  When you buy
inventory it's a straight shot from Checking -> Inventory.  Then when
you use inventory you account for it as inventory -> COGS.  When
you're paid it's income -> checking.

Also note that by bypassing the gnucash invoices you are denying
yourself access to the Aging and Customer reports.