Utility for recording time spent on a project

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 16:28:18 EST 2005

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 8:03 pm, Ronald L Chichester wrote:
> Does Gnucash have a facility for recording time slips (such as time
> spent on a project, which project, and what was done)?

Not as such, although my work on QSF (XML) could provide a mechanism by
importing the time slips as XML and loading that data into a GnuCash Invoice
or Order. This is the best way of handling the summaries, print outs and
statements that the customer may require.

Further down the road, it is even conceivable that this could be done
automatically using some kind of scripting from MyProject-type tools that
already provide the means to produce the time slips in the first place.

> Some
> professions (lawyers, accountants, software developers) often bill by
> time, rather than specific item

I do, in my paid employment, which is precisely why I'm doing all this work to
import things like invoices into GnuCash from external sources - in my case,
my Palm PDA.

> and I was wondering if some software
> existed for generating those time entries and plugging them into
> Gnucash directly.

It's not ready yet, but it should do what you require.

--

Neil Williams