question about income account when a sale occurs

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 23 15:53:57 EST 2005

John Griessen <john_g at cibolo.com> writes:

> What would the account flow look like for a prepayment for buying materials?

You mean the customer pays you money before you invoice them for
materials you then buy for their project?

> Does an invoice allow handling that prepayment income so as to keep it all
> related to a job invoice?  Can you enter the payment for an invoice before it is
> complete?

Payments dont apply to invoices, they apply to customers.  Just
"Process Payment" and gnucash will apply it to the next invoice you
post for that customer.  Payments/invoices are not marked by jobs.

I would definitely suggest you NOT enter the payment on an invoice.
Gnucash does NOT handle "negative-valued" invoices at all.  It will
really screw you over hard if you try it.