Accounting for credit card purchases (revisited)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Feb 26 15:35:22 EST 2005

cscott at endjinn.net (Christopher Scott) writes:

> Sorry, I wasn't clear there.  Assets:Checking (Reserved) is a
> sub-account of Assets:Checking.  It actually is
> Assets:Checking:Reserved.

Clarity is everything!  Thank you for correcting your statement.
Your revised statement makes more sense.

>   The Assets:Checking:Reserved account is
> correct, but the Assets:Checking account is off by the amount of the
> payment, since the $500 never came out of the Assets:Checking account.

Um, the $500 came out of the Assets:Checking during the 5 of these
transactions:

>> > Liabilities:Credit Card             CR 100
>> > Expenses:Food                       DR 100
>> > Assets:Checking (Reserved)          DR 100
>> > Assets:Checking                     CR 100

Each one of these moves money from A:C to A:C:R.  The _total_ balance
of A:C remains the same, but the immediate balance of A:C is reduced
(and A:C:R increased) by the second set of splits in this transaction.

Then when you create the actual payment transaction:

>> > Assets:Checking (Reserved)          CR 500
>> > Liabilities:Credit Card             DR 500

it removes those funds from A:C:R, so your total A:C balance should
now be $500 lower.

All is balanced, now.  So, this is all correct.