Unbearably slow load time

Aaron Dalton aaron at daltons.ca
Sat Jan 1 12:22:45 EST 2005

I run FreeBSD 5.2 and have experienced the same prolonged startup times
(although not as pronounced as 52 minutes).  It does indeed appear to be
a *BSD issue as my Debian box starts up almost immediately.  My contacts
in the BSD community have said that it is due to the way BSD maintains
entropy.  For reasons I do not understand (I am not a coder) FreeBSD
won't start GnuCash until the entropy file is filled, and apparently
this takes time.  I wish I could offer specifics, but I just don't have
the expertise.  Maybe this will give you a starting point for further
research.  Nobody was able to provide me, by the way, with a way to
correct this.

My 2 cents,
Aaron