Unable to retrieve quotes

James A. de Haseth jdehaseth at snappydsl.net
Sun Jan 2 10:31:36 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 19:46, David Hampton wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 12:21 -0500, James A. de Haseth wrote:
>
> > I have a similar problem while running RedHat 9 and GnuCash 1.8.10.  I
> > can retrieve quotes on the command line with "dump-finance-quote" but I
> > cannot get it to work from gnucash.  Depending on which source I use for
> > the quotes I may get a response similar to yours, or I may get "There
> > was an unknown error while retrieving the price quotes."
>
> What is the ticker symbol you have problems with?

Thanks for the reply.  I experimented quite a bit with things and found
stocks that work and some that don't so that I could provide better
info.

I switched gnucash to yahoo (although I had tried this initially) and I
do get a different error.  For example, here's CocaCola (KO)

$ dump-finance-quote yahoo ko
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: KO                   <=== required
      date: 12/31/2004           <=== required
  currency: USD                  <=== required
      last: 41.64                <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 41.64                <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

This works with GnuCash.  I get a "good" quote for that.  For two other
stocks, HSP and ABT, I get the following error:

Unable to retrieve quotes for these items:
   ISO4217:USD
   ISO4217:USD

I am then prompted as to whether I want to proceed with the "good"
quotes and I get the quote from KO.  Of course, dump-finance-quote works
for ABT and HSP.

Thanks again,

Jim