OFX not working

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 4 21:02:49 EST 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 8:08 PM, badgers wrote:

> I have spent the last week reading about how to import ofx files.
> it seems that vanguard.com give me a choice in formats. When I googled
> the subject it seemed that gnucash liked the ofx format.
> but when I import my transactions I end up with -25 bucks.  I have a
> positive balance and always have.
> It seems that some of the transactions are not comming in.
> This is a simple money market account. the share price is always $1.00
> and it always has been.....
> any ideas?

The OFX importer author will probably comment soon, but I'll put in my
2 cents worth.

The importer doesn't handle every message in the file downloaded from
the financial institution. In particular, none of the balance info
transactions are handled at all -- so you have to make sure your copy
of gnucash has a starting balance to which it can add individual
transactions.

> LibOFX ERROR: WRITEME: SELLTYPE (SELL) is not supported by the
> INVESTMENT container
> (Above message occured on Line 1, Column 34834)
> LibOFX ERROR: WRITEME: SUBACCTSEC (CASH) is not supported by the
> INVESTMENT container
> (Above message occured on Line 1, Column 35220)
> LibOFX ERROR: WRITEME: SUBACCTFUND (OTHER) is not supported by the
> INVESTMENT container

I don't think these errors are the ones that are affecting your
outcome. I know that the objection to SELLTYPE(SELL) doesn't stop a
stock sale from importing/reconciling correctly.

I have suspicions that the last error is a hint at the problem. My
TIAA-CREF ofx imports have troubles with transactions where the dollar
amount gets read as the number of shares, and the price shows up as
1.00. This problem arises with transactions in the downloaded file that
are marked as <buyother>...</buyother> transactions, despite looking
exactly like a <buystock>...</buystock> transaction without
commissions. Perhaps ofx 0.6.6 (the latest version that has been
packaged for the Mac) doesn't know how to handle 'other' transactions.
As it happens, my transactions also have 'fake' ticker symbols, but
they are recognized correctly by Finance::Quote. Once I get a chance to
test a few more things I'll be posting my questions, too.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net