problem w/first use

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Jan 5 09:39:44 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 01:07, Christian & Deborah Henderson wrote:
> Thanks for the quick help. Please pardon my ignorance, but how do I
> launch it?
>
> I typed gconfd-1 into the x11 window, but that didn't do it.

What error did you get when you did this?

I expect that you did not get one ... it just never came back to a
prompt / appeared to "hang" / &c.  In that case, gconfd-1 is running;
I'm always annoyed at programs that never output _anything_.

It may be more effective to start it in the background with:

  $ gconfd-1 &

...jsled