Unbalanced balance sheet

Derrick Ashby daeroncs at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 16 12:07:16 EST 2005

Hello list,

I have a problem with the balance sheet report for my personal accounts.
It isn't balanced!  Assets is supposed to equal Liabilities + Equity,
and there is around $1,000 difference (Assets = 71,047.32 and
Liabilities & Equity = 72,020.10 (Liabilities 6,213.44, Unrealised Gains
= 39,404.37, Total Equity = 26,402.29 (including Retained Earnings  and
Net Profit)).  Given that each transaction has to balance as it is
entered, I can only assume that somewhere along the way I have used
inappropriate accounts to balance transactions against, but is there a
good way of working out where?).

Is it a problem that I have purchased a fixed asset with a credit card,
where 10% of the purchase price is entered as a tax expense  (Asset =
$748, Liability = $680, GST = $68)?  Well, no, apparently not.  The tax
component is included in the net profit calculation  as a reduction in
Equity - I just tested this out in a new blank set of books.

Derrick Ashby