Income problems; 1.8.9

John B. Egger john.egger at att.net
Sun Jan 16 17:29:53 EST 2005

John B. Egger wrote:
> I've just begun to learn about the P&L Report. Mine handles my expenses
> and salary fine, but there's a problem with dividends and other
> investment income that puzzles me. Consider a money-market account. In
> the "Accounts" list it looks perfect, balancing with the financial
> institution's statement, increasing with each month's dividend (entered
> as "Dividend:Account:Security".) But when I open the P&L Report and
> click on Dividends/Account/Security, only some of the past few months'
> entries are shown in the "income" column (and of course only they
> increase the dividend-income balance).
>
> I have no idea what's different between the months that properly add to
> both my account balance and to my dividend-income total (such as
> 8/31/04), and those that just increase my account balance (like
> 9/30/04). I've tried creating new test transactions (in Account/Security
> from the Accounts window, with a "Dividend:Account:Security" of $20
> etc., and it adds $20 to the account balance but NOTHING to dividend
> income.
>

> --John
> Registered Linux User #291592

Problem solved, I think. My "dividend" accounts were defined with
"Commodity" as the security into which the dividend was reinvested. When
I changed the commodity to "currency" (USD), newly entered dividends
appeared both as additions to the account balance and as income. It DOES
look as if I have to go back and manually re-enter 2004 dividends,
because previous entries did not automatically appear as "income" after
redefining the "dividend" account.

Guess everyone else was smart enough to avoid this problem, but I
wasn't. (PS: The few months in 2004 that were OK had been imported from
Quicken, so GnuCash handled them properly. It was my manual entries that
were screwed up.)