Reblance Transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 19 21:20:29 EST 2005

John Rumball <fedora at jerumball.com> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>>Click on the transaction to enter it, change the "transfer" account to
>>whatever account it should be, leave the transaction to commit it.
>>

> In fact, that is what I have been doing, but each time I go to leave
> the transaction, I get prompted with a dialog box that says:
> "The current transaction has changed. Would you like to record it?
> Yes/No/Cancel"  I pick Yes and then another dialog appears entitled,
> "Rebalance Transaction" containing the following four radio buttons,
> listed top to bottom: "Balance it manually", "Let GnuCash add an
> adjusting split", "Adjust current account split total" (selected by
> default), and "Adjust other account split total". Which is the right
> option for me?  It seems that each option yields different results,
> and eventually ends up making the  seemingly simple task of creating a
> "transfer" into an arduous one for beginners like me.
>
> I'm just looking for a little guidance here on the most streamlined
> way to do this, as I have many transactions to create transfers for.

Uhh..  Are you doing this in an account register or the GL?
Does the txn have a Transfer Account?
Is this a Split Transaction?

You're clearly missing something fundamental, but right now I can't
see what it is.  Perhaps you could supply a screenshot of the
transaction / register just before you try to commit it?