payroll/employee reports

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 20 10:04:34 EST 2005

Roland Roberts <roland at astrofoto.org> writes:

> I have to be missing something simple here....

Yes, what's missing is that GnuCash does not support Payroll....

> I have one household employee, our nanny.  In order to make my
> end-of-quarter reports and taxes easier, I figures I would set it up
> under the business features of GnuCash and create a real employee.  I
> did that.  The name I put on the employee is identical to what we put
> into the transaction Description field.  I asked for an employee report
> and I select the one employee.  But I get the message
>
> No Valid Account Selected. Click on the Options button and select the account to use.
>
> The problem is, I can't select an account, I can't figure out what it
> wants and the drop-down is empty.  This is Gnucash 1.8.9 on fedora core 3.

The employee report is looking for an A/P account.  It will only work
with transactions entered via the Employee Expense Voucher and
Employee Process Payment menu options.  You cannot hand-enter
transactions for this report.

> Our account structure is simple---we do not do any withholding (common
> in this case), so my payroll is just an entry in our checking account
> paying into a "child care" account.
>
> What am I missing?

Like all the other business features you cannot hand-enter
transactions.  You must use the invoice/bill and process-payment
features for any of the reports to work.