Another unbalanced balance sheet

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 25 09:14:58 EST 2005

Bill Wisse <wiswp at niue.nu> writes:

> On Monday 24 January 2005 17:24, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Bug #121420
>>
>> You cannot assign a payment to a specific invoice, which is what I bet
>> you're trying to do..  Payments will always be applied in a FIFO,
>> oldest invoice first.
>>

> Hi Derek
>
> Is this really a bug?

Depends on who you ask.  It's in bugzilla as an Enhancement request,
but it's still "bug #xxx" ;)

> IMO in real (business) life you should never accept payments for invoices
> while there are still invoices pending from an earlier date.
> When customers do that they are trying to confuse you and count that you get
> confused as well and forget about the invoice.

Even if you can assign a payment to a specific invoice gnucash still
wont get confused -- at least until 360 days out at which point the
invoice will fall off the aging report.  :)

The customer report, however, will always show exactly what they owe.