FIFO invoice model

Derrick Ashby daeroncs at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 26 05:33:16 EST 2005

Sorry, didn't copy gnucash in again!

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Bug #121420
>
> You cannot assign a payment to a specific invoice, which is what I bet
> you're trying to do..  Payments will always be applied in a FIFO,
> oldest invoice first.
>
> -derek
>
> Derrick Ashby <daeroncs at fastmail.fm> writes:

Derek,

When a customer staples a cheque to an invoice, or better yet, prints a
cheque and a payment advice on the one piece of paper they certainly
believe that their cheque is associated with one or more invoices. When
I sit in front of gnucash, and call up a list of customer invoices, some
of which are ticked as paid and others not, I look for the invoice that
the customer thinks they are paying on the list. I then click on it in
the list and click the Process Payment button. If I don't select an
invoice, and click Process Payment, nothing happens - even though the
customer has unpaid invoices. Again, if you click on a paid invoice
(i.e. one that has a tick), and click Process Payment, the resulting
screen has 0 in the amount paid field, even if the customer owes money.
If I think I'm assigning a payment to an invoice it's only because
gnucash leads me to believe that's what I'm doing. What you need is a
field showing amount owing on the search results screen.

I agree with you that the FIFO method of accounting for invoice payments
makes sense to the supplier in many situations - particularly when you
are supplying goods. However, where you are dealing with bureaucratic
organisations, and particularly where you are a third party providing
services to a client involved in a relationship with their client, as we
are, you need to be able to account for which invoices have been paid
and which haven't. If I phone a client and tell them that they owe us
money, they want to know for which piece of work we have done for them.
I can't tell them that I don't know, because my accounting system
doesn't tell me. I always enter the invoice number in the Num field on
the Process Payment screen for that reason, and if I have a cheque
that's paying for multiple invoices, I process each of them
individually. Gnucash encourages me to do that by usually defaulting to
the total owing on the invoice I have clicked on - although it does
sometimes display less than is owing on the invoice, presumably because
it has assigned some part of an amount I have previously entered to that
invoice. I now see what led to my payment entry being split into 4
components in Accounts Receivable, but I don't know why. Clearly gnucash
is assigning the payment to four invoices, but it doesn't tell you which
invoices, so what's the point in the multiple entries? It's just confusing.

You may say that gnucash is following the FIFO model, but if it is the
UI needs to reflect that. As it is, you wouldn't have to do much to
provide the user with the alternative, since clearly gnucash already
associates payments with invoices - you just need to allow the user to
tell the program which ones.

Derrick