Another unbalanced balance sheet

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 19:06:22 EST 2005

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 11:19 pm, Bill Wisse wrote:
> And we all know the first rule of business.
>
> *NEVER argue with a customer*

?? I spend most of my day arguing with customers - it's part of the job, it's
an essential part of the business. I'm usually telling them that I will not
be breaking the law to suit their whim! If I did what 1% of my customers
insisted I *must* do, I'd be in gaol by now, doing a 10yr sentence.

Some days, I only ever seem to say NO.

No, you can't have that with those.
No, I can't do that for free.
No, I can't take you on, we're full to capacity.
No, there isn't anyone else in this area with space either.
No, we don't accept those.
No, you do have to pay, even for that.
No, it isn't my fault, blame the government.
No, you are speaking to my boss, I'm self-employed!
No, you can't use those together.
No, you can't have that without authorisation.
No, you can't collect that early, it's illegal.
No, you can't give that to her.
No, I can't let you do that, it's dangerous.
No, you can't leave the shop yet, sit and wait until it's all gone.
No, you can't jump the queue.
No, I can't tell you that, I can only tell them that directly.
No, I can't leave that on the doorstep - or put it through the letterbox.
No, you can't take that home in your car like that, it could kill you and
others.

And yes, they do come back with everything sorted out and they still buy. They
usually end up paying more too.

(Anyone with sufficient curiosity can find out the job from two of the links
below. No, I'm not saying which - or how many other links you'd need to
follow!)

:-)

--

Neil Williams