segmentation fault: additional info

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 29 06:31:47 EST 2005

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca> writes:
>

>>Today, I decided to try creating a custom report with an Expense
>>piechart and and Income & Expense Chart on one report.  I changed the
>>piechart to display 12 (I think) segments.  Since I liked this, I
>>decided to save the report.
>>

>Hmm, I was unaware that Guppi actually supported 12 segments.

I just checked.  An expense piechart (alone) can be made to display 12
segments.  Gnucash did not crash.

>>However, the next time I opened gnucash, it crashed.  The shell where I
>>opened it only showed "segmentation fault" as the output.
>>
>>I had to remove the most recent copy of the "books" file, restart
>>gnucash, open the most recent backup, and replay the most recent log.
>>No problem with the books; they are back where they belong.
>>

>Uh, this is wrong.  There's no reason you should have had to restore
>from backup...

Why?  This seems to have solved the crash on open.  I may have left the
multicolumn report open when I closed gnucash.  Does it reopen a report
that was left open when gnucash was last closed?  If so, it would
explain the crash on startup.  And if this fact is saved in the "books"
file, it would explain why my restore from backup helped.

>>There is a new "multicolumn view" under Reports->Custom.  This, I
>>presume, is my saved report.  It continues to crash gnucash.
>>

>Does it crash when you run the report?  Or when you load gnucash?
>I'm still confused.

It now crashes only when I run the report.  Prior to the restore from
backup, it was crashing on load.

>>Now, when I start gnucash, it prints the following to the shell:
>>Warning: xaccTransFindOldCommonCurr...(): unable to find a common
>>currency, and that is strange.
>>

>Most likely the log replay is to fault here.  Did you actually "rm"
>your original data file or just rename it out of the way.  If you
>rm'ed it then you're screwed -- I would go back to the last backup and
>then re-enter the transaction by hand.  If, however, you were
>intelligent and just renamed the original file, I'd just rename it
>back and use that.
>
>-derek

I had moved the original data file to a temp directory.  Once I was
satisfied that I had fixed the problem, I had planned to remove it.  It
was only two transactions so no big deal.  I haven't removed it yet, though.

It does appear to be the log replay at fault.  The two transactions I
had entered on that last run were the two causing this output.  These
two were restored by the log replay.

At the suggestion of another poster, I editted the XML by hand and fixed
the transactions.  Gnucash no longer outputs the warnings.  I checked
and the transactions look OK.

Mark