Newbie migration issues

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jan 29 10:58:32 EST 2005

Rod Engelsman <rodengelsman at ruraltel.net> writes:

> That's what I'm hoping. The original bug report was kind of old, though
> still listed as "New". Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an FC3
> rpm available for 1.8.10 or I would update and see if that fixed it. I
> imagine it has something particular to do with my distro or the rpm that
> came with. Can I install an rpm for a different version of RedHat
> without blowing up my computer and killing the cat?

Unfortunately, no, you need an RPM specific to your version.  You can
try to rebuild gnucash, but... then you fall into "dependency hell" to
find all the build-deps.

As for the bug still being "new", that's not surprising.  The only
things we tend to use are New, Needinfo, and Resolved.  We also now
have a bunch of Unconfirmed, too.  We don't really have a bug triage
team so it makes it even more challenging.

> Oh, I understand all that. It's just that I've been using open-source
> stuff on Win XP for about the last year and all you hear on the mailing
> lists is about how wonderful Linux is. Well, the plain truth is that you
> still have to futz around with things mightily to get everything to
> work. And that point may never come.

Who knows.  As I said we've got a dearth of devs to help.  Find us a
team of 3-6 man-developers and then let's talk.  As it is with the
current dev team I estimate we have about, maybe, .25 man-developers.

> What's needed is for some commercial outfit that's getting killed by MS
> to step forward and open-source an app that already works. That's how
> you got Mozilla and OpenOffice.org. And they're about the only things on
> the Linux side of this box that work reliably.

Sure.  Find someone to give me $5MM upfront and a guarantee of
continuing revenue and I'll gladly turn Gnucash into a real product!
Then I can afford a real development team who can each devote 100% of
their time to gnucash development, instead of the current state where
we've got a half-dozen devs who each provide maybe a few hours a week
on average.