Money from stock sale not tranferring to "transfer account"

Stephan Pouh smpouh at gmx.at
Sat Jan 29 13:16:53 EST 2005

I am using Gnucash for quite some time (3yrs) now and getting used to it bit
by bit. One of the things that still throws me off, besides the fact that
most features work flawlessly for me is the fact that stock sales sometimes
do not balance. I experienced this problem again with some INTC Stock which I
keep as a stock in a brokerage account. It lloks something like this:

Assets (ASSET)
 - Investments (ASSET)
  - US (ASSET)
   - INTC (the account) (BANK)
    - Intel (the stock) (STOCK)

Since I have discussed something similar with Derek I made sure to use the US
locale with both the account and the stock being USD.

Now, I sold the stock, the transfer account being INTC. The stock sells fine,
the sum is correct, however, the money never arrives in INTC. The transaction
in INTC is empty. The transaction in Intel shows the sums correctly.

Here comes the strange part. I moved the INTC account upwards like this:
Assets
 - INTC (the account)
  - Intel (the stock)

At that time it still doesn't work, but if you delete the sale and do it again
it works fine and the sale's income goes from Intel to in INTC. The accounts
balance (although I am not sure whether this is the right term).

At this point in time I moved the account back down - still everything is
fine.

Here are the questions:
What am I doing wrong?
Is this a bug? A feature?
Will this interesting behavior be fixed in the future?

Thanks for the support,

Stephan Pouh

--
this message was brought to you by