Money from stock sale not tranferring to "transfer account"

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jan 29 14:50:53 EST 2005

please remember to cc gnucash-user on your replies...

Stephan Pouh <smpouh at gmx.at> writes:

> First a few words on support. I am extremely amazed by the speedy answer. Coud
> anybody imagine that kind of a turn around time, if you had trouble with
> quicken?

hehe.

>> > Assets (ASSET)
>> >  - Investments (ASSET)
>> >   - US (ASSET)
>> >    - INTC (the account) (BANK)
>> >     - Intel (the stock) (STOCK)
>>
>> What are the commodities of each of these accounts?
>
> Well, maybe I didn't listen as well as I thought. Assets, Investment and US
> are all in EUR. INTC and Intel are USD (see Gnucash1.png)

Okay.

>> Which account register do you have open when you enter the txn?
>
> Intel. I tried to "fix" the sale by editing the transaction in INTC, to no
> avail.
>
> Funny enough I just now did another fake transaction (selling one share) to
> provide you with a screen shot, but it WORKED. This happened once before.
> First it wouldn't work for some time and all of a sudden it did.
>
> I have therefore opened a backup file to show the effect on some stock
> purchase of Deckers Outdoors (commodities being the same as with Intel). You
> can see (Gnucash.png) the Deckers Outdoors, the parent account Scottrade and
> the account tree in Gnucash.

This is really sounding a lot like bug #116353.  When you enter a
transaction in a stock account it doesn't know what currency to use,
so it ALWAYS uses the locale currency.  This can cause a lot of
problems, and it's likely this is the problem you're hitting.

Try expanding the transaction (click "split") from the Bank/Asset side
(not the stock side) and try to Edit Exchange Rate on either split and
see what happens.  In a "reasonable" stock transaction it should pop
up a dialog on the split into the stock account, but NOT open a dialog
on the split into the asset/bank account.  However the logic here is
rather hairy and I'm sure there are some bugs in there somewhere.

>> How are you testing "account balance"?
>
> As you can see from the Scottrade register, what I call balance actually is a
> correct trasfer into the transfer account. If money shows up everything is
> fine. If it doesn't, something is wrong.

Fair enough.  You clearly have a split of "0 amount" which is
obviously wrong.

> Were my answers any help?

Yes.  I'm still leaning towards "bug #116353".