Getting money for Gnucash development [was Re: Newbie migration

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 10:16:05 EST 2005

On Sunday 30 January 2005 2:27 pm, Robert Heller wrote:
> There are other things that can be done -- one of the problems with
> many OSS projects is *documentation* and end-user testing.  And maybe
> things like promotion

On the topic of promotion, is anyone on this list going to be in the UK
(specifically London) in early October this year? I'll be representing
GnuCash at the Linux User and Developer Expo in Olympia. My financial
experience is limited to my own specific situation and I'd like to have
assistance from others who may be able to answer questions about using
GnuCash. I'll have the final dates in the summer. You'll need - well nothing
really, except the ability to talk to people about money. I'll provide two
laptops for demonstration, the sponsor will provide the power and possibly an
internet connection, we can produce some literature and get some leaflets
printed out, posters are courtesy of the sponsor, then even consider whatever
other goodies we can manufacture / obtain for sale / distribution.

If there is an Expo in your area any time this year, I would encourage you to
enquire about having a stand in the community village - the UK Expo's have
a .org village for all community projects and it is often dominated by the
Debian stand, includes the FSF (Europe in my case), various LUG and GLUG
groups, other developers like Mambo, Postgres, EmbeddedDebian, KDE,
Mozilla, . . .  All it needs is your time and attendance. The UK .org village
is sponsored by one of our pro-Linux ISP's: uklinux.net and is free for .org
exhibitors.

> -- if/when you encounter them, 'talking' to 'young
> (Linux) coders' about GnuCash would likely help too.  GnuCash for the
> most part has had a very low profile -- maybe that needs to change.

I wouldn't say that. Amongst developers, GnuCash is respected and recommended.
It is acknowledged as the leading application of it's kind and is always
favourably recommended to users looking for this kind of program. It has
earned it's place as an essential application that is part of the default
install of most distributions, it has a deserved reputation for reliability.

> Getting the word out will help.  Certainly increasing the GnuCash user base
> amongst Linux users in general will help too -- I wonder how many
> Linux users/programmers are balancing their checkbooks *by hand* or have
> dual boot machines, with Quicken or MS Money, *out of ignorance*?

Not many that I know! (but then I'm not known to be shy of telling them to use
it!)

--

Neil Williams