Noob - migration 1.8.8 -> 1.8.10, least risky path?

Donna-n-Doug Finner stonehusky at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:28:47 EST 2005

I've been using GnuCash for about a year (love it, sent $$ I love it
so much - sincere thanks to the developer team responsible for this
app!).

I see that 1.8.10 is out and found an RPM package for Mandrake 10 but
want to make sure I do this right (hate to kill my accounts for the
sake of an upgrade).

First - data safety:
I can find no information about the best way to upgrade - backup vs
export (and if it is an export, is there some file extension I should
use - the export seems to use whatever filename you type in and adds
no extension that I can find).  Restating the question - what file or
files are most important AND easiest to use if a recovery is required?

Second - the process:
Will the 1.8.10 RPM automatically replace the 1.8.8 install or will I
have two full installs, one with data (my 1.8.8) and one virgin
install (the 1.8.10) that will need to be populated with my current
data?  If the 1.8.10 is clean, what's the recommended method to pull
my current data into the new install?

Most apps I am comfortable just taking a chance on the install - if I
break an audio app or Firefox, no biggie, just kill everything and
start over.  I do NOT want to hose up my checking/savings data.
Moving from Quicken to GnuCash was a non-trivial task and I don't want
to start over again.

If I missed the 'how to', please just let me know the URL and I'll go
get the info myself (teach me to fish...)

Thanks in advance for the advice and pointers.

Doug