donation in germany: taxes ("steuerlich absetzen")

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 17:42:45 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 10:17 pm, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> >>- i need
> >>a receipt that I can use for my taxes.
> >
> > Neither GnuCash nor SourceForge (who process the donation) are charitable
> > organisations. In the UK, they do not qualify for tax relief or as a tax
> > deductible expense. I doubt that Germany is that different and you may
> > well find that you cannot use the donation in your taxes in any way.
>
> Is it not a legitimate business expense though?

Not in the UK.

How can it be? It's voluntary - you didn't have to pay for it so the business
has no liability. You have no assets in return, you have no liability, you
cannot expect to sell it on for a profit or even to recover the "expense",
you are under no compulsion to spend the money.

If it was to a charity, then yes, it would matter. As it is not, then as far
as the business is concerned, it's no different to burning some paper money
or writing off a debt.

--

Neil Williams