reconciling bank statements

Matt Funk mafunk at nmsu.edu
Thu Jul 7 21:42:46 EDT 2005

Hi,

i had a question concerning the reconciliation of my bank statement with my
gnucash bank:checking account.
In my gnucash:checking account i have the following entry
06/17/05; Farmers; --Spit Transaction--; 55.43

which i entered after i made the payment. This is (among other accounts) being
credited (or debited...?) to my gnucash insurance account. (farmers is my car
insurance company)

When i import the bank statement (.qfx file) i have the following in the
listing:
06/17/05; FARMERS NEVAD   ;DES=E PAY ; 55.43

and it tells me that it is red (i.e. it doesn't find a match and won't import
it). I thought at first that it might be because it
is a split transaction. However, there are splits that it does just fine and
then there are normal entries which are not matched either.

I guess i don't understand how come it doesn't match the entries according to
the amount (wouldn't that be the first matching criteria? maybe not ?)

can somebody explain the matching criteria to me (i mean how it implemented in
gnucash).

Or maybe i have to set some setting/preference for it to match correctly?

and then, if it simply doesn't match right what do i do with the double
entries? Delete them by hand?

i love gnucash though...

thanks
mat

ps: by the way, is there any advantage in choosing qif over qfx files or vice
versa?