Accounting question: loans to someone else

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Sun Jul 10 11:52:03 EDT 2005

Maf. King wrote:
> On Sunday 10 Jul 2005 09:29, Beth Leonard wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>

> Hi Beth,
>

>>I'm sure an accountant would think the answer to this is simple, but
>>I can't figure it out.  How does one account for a loan given to
>>someone else?
>>

> Well, IANAA, but as far as i am aware, you treat a loan you have "supplied"
> exactly the same as a loan you have "received" (which crops up on the list
> every so often) - except liability becomes asset, and interest is income not
> expense.

IANAA either, but I find that sometimes lay-people answers, while not
always strictly correct can often get the ideas across to other
lay-people more easily. We are the translators... IAAAT (I am an
accounting translator) he he he.

>><<<< snippity doo-dah >>>>>>
>>

> A split transaction to give:
> Checking -> Asset:loan  (the repayment)
> Checking -> income:loanInterest  (the "earned" interest)
>

>>If the interest rate is fixed, how do I calculate the book value of
>>the loan if I were to "sell" the right to receive future payments
>>to someone else?  Actually, that's not quite the question I want
>>to ask because I know I can calculate that.  What I really want to
>>know is how can I make regular transactions such that in my
>>balance sheet under Assets, the "sell value" is reflected in
>>the balance sheet, not the original value of the loan.
>>

> If the asset:loan account is decreasing over time as repayments are made, will
> that give you the figure you require?  I'm not at all sure how to work out
> the "resale" value of a loan!

The resale value of a loan is whatever you can get for it in the market
and is theoretically independent of the outstanding amount. To the
extent that the sale price of a loan is greater than the book value of a
loan, the payment is income. If the sale price of a loan is less than
book value then you record a loss on the sale. (but we hope to never
have to do that ;-)

Maf. King, what you describe is true, if she records a split transaction
for each loan repayment with the principal portion being applied to the
outstanding asset and the interest portion applied to income:interest
(or whatever) then the asset's balance at any point is the book value of
the loan and will decrease gradually over time.