Struggling with vendor payments

Andrew Greig algreig at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 26 07:28:04 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I was following this list for quite some time while operating under MYOB
(Australian version).  Now I have left that organisation and I am able
to do my own thing with gnucash.  I am not an accountant and I struggle
with administration most of the time.  I am struggling with "Vendor
payments".

Initially I entered each of my parking receipts as a separate 'invoice",
but I found the process of always having to "search" for the same vendor
was tedious, so now I have lumped them all into one invoice with docket
numbers on the different dates, and I "pay" them at the end of the month
out of petty cash, whereas in fact I put the money in the meter on each
particular day.  Is ther any way to short cut this continual search for
the same vendor?  If I have 15 items from the same vendor, is there a
"Save & Next" facility to speed up my data entry?

While on vendor payments, some of my payments (for one parking docket
for example) are split into 3 payments of unequal amounts $4.40 is
broken into $0.40 and $1.80 and $2.20.  In some other cases in the
register, the payment precedes the invoice and the running balances look
very untidy.

Is it possible to lump all of the invoices for one vendor into one place
for payment with one amount?  I can't seem to find this feature referred
to in the manual.  Perhaps domestic blindness has set in, can't find my
socks some time.

I am operating under an Australian GST system.  I have GST collected and
GST Paid both in my Liabilities section, and when the time comes to fill
out the business activity statement for the government I can deduct one
from the other and make the appropriate payment or request a refund.

Using gc1.8.9 Mandrake 10.1

Many thanks

Andrew Greig
Community Distributor, OpenOffice.org