Best practices in Gnucash file management

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Jun 20 05:16:15 EDT 2005

Hi Bob.

On Monday 20 Jun 2005 09:18, Bob Alexander wrote:

> I now see that the data I am working with is kept in a file called
> "sample gnucash file" and there are a bunch of .log and .xac timestamped
> files.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Can I rename the "sample gnucash file" to something more meaningful ?

Yes, you can rename the accounts data file.  You can do this at the command
line, but take note that GC stores all the "open reports" in a separate file
under ~/.gnucash/books/* and ~/.gnome/GnuCash are the important files, IIRC.

IMHO, it is probably best to let GC handle all this extra complexity, and use
the file->save as... menu.

> 2) Can I delete the "log-xac" files from times to times ?

Yes, the file.<timestamp>.xac files are the state at the previous save (i.e. a
backup), and the .log are the changes made during a session.  Theory goes,
(and I have not ever needed this, (yet!) so YMMV) that if you lose a session
of data entry, then you can open the last good backup, do a
file->import->replay log and be back where you were before the crash.  Note
that you can make GC delete these backups for you - see
Edit->Preferences->General.

> 3) Other backup suggestions in case files "break/corrupt" ?

1. Run GC from a terminal occasionally, to keep an eye out for warning
messages as it opens a data file.
2. Keep periodic backups (eg monthly? depends on how much data you would have
to re-enter in a period) of your data file independent of your standard
backup strategy.  If your data contains Tax information, then it is probably
some of the most important data you have... and worth a bit of extra effort?

Maf.

HTH,
Maf.