Best practices in Gnucash file management

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Mon Jun 20 21:32:06 EDT 2005

Bob Alexander <bob at ngi.it> writes:

> 3) Other backup suggestions in case files "break/corrupt" ?

Maf answered the other two. If you have regular nightly backups of
your filesystem, that will suffice for gnucash backups.

At some point you'll want to ask what to do on an annual basis. Check
the archives as this has been asked every January ;-). Here's a summary:

I simply copied bill.xac to bill-2004.xac, for example, after
reconciling all of my December statements.

At one point, my file got really large and my situation changed so
much that I *moved* bill.xac to bill-2003.xac (after reconciling all
of my December statements). I then ran File > New Account Tree and
saved it to bill.xac and started from scratch. I had to enter the
initial balances, January and unreconciled transactions manually.

Some folks make a transaction to an equity account on December 31 or
January 1 from each of their expense accounts to zero out their
expenses. Check the archives as I'm not sure of the details of this
one.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD