exporting selected account subtree

TMaynard rustym at main.nc.us
Wed Mar 2 00:30:08 EST 2005

Thankyou Neil for the comprehensive responses to this multifaceted set
of problems. I realize what you are tackling will open doors for a lot
of new features for Gnucash, and I  only partially understand the
implications.  I have snipped parts of  your responses and I  realize I
should add one more qualifier for the kind of maneuver that could be
supported earlier  in the list of incoming features. I am going to add
to the A and B restrictions already stated:

    C: the export and graft is *one way* only  (big warning, never any
re-import or return graft)

 This is the essence of labor saving import  of bank transactions. I
know those tranactions belong in my COA and, once loaded as dummies, the
tools are there to assign account labels. Thankfully the bank doesnt
have to be concerned with ever receiving return data or to be concerned
with a unique identifier or reimportation problem.   Similarly, if a
business COA incorporates  a batch of transaction values for a few
months of  business related transactions occurring in a personal account
, those *copied*  tranactions  will not need to be exported back to the
personal COA.
   This seems important to enable  between certain "consenting" gnucash
COA's.  I hope this type of restricted graft can be a high priority and
maybe such a tool can be the venue for  some of the first look and feel
additions.   Neil has used the metaphor of "collisions" and I  see that
he really is constructing a coordinated traffic light system for the
whole city. In the mean time some of the traffic could carefully turn
Right on Red (with the warning that they should know where they want to
go and they can't return someday with a different cargo.)
 Thanks,
Rusty