Foreign Account miscalculations on Parent Accounts

Jason Ahrens jason.ahrens at rogers.com
Tue Mar 8 19:59:18 EST 2005

I've come across yet another really weird behaviour in GNUCash 1.8.10. This
one having to do with foreign accouns.

I have some US funds I decided to put into GNUCash. To do this, I made an
Asset account called Foreign and put my starting balace in. I was prompted
for the exchange rate, which I entered and verified. At the bottom of the
Exchange Rate window, it even told me how much CAD it would calculate to, and
this was right.

Now, on the USD account, I show the correct value of USDollars, but the
 parent account now shows a balance of -107,975,207,627,418.93. In my
 Equity:Starting Balance account, the correct value in CAD shows up there.

So what I have is this:

The USD account is correct
The Equity:Starting Balances account is correct
The USD account parent is wildly wrong, showing that I have ~-108trillion
 CAD.

However, above the accounts, the Net Assets number is correct.

This is the second problem I've had while trying to use non-home-currency
comodity types totally mucking up the Assets section while being correct
everywhere else. Is there some fundamental bug with GNUCash? What might this
problem be?

Jason
--
"Seeing emptiness, have compassion." -- Milarepa