Balance Sheet

dhamblen at adelphia.net dhamblen at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 13 09:16:18 EST 2005

on Mar 12, 2005, Ernst wrote:

>Is it possible to conclude that the 329.31 are due to variations in commodity
>prices? Then the 329.31 would be un-realised capital gain/loss. Or is there
>another imbalance involved?

In a recent post to gnucash-devel, I posted a patch to one of the
routines called by the report balance-sheet.scm, which fixes a problem
with the computation of the  weighted average costs  of assets (the
average purchase price of shares and bonds owned).  In order to get
anything to show up on the "Unrealized Gain" line of the balance sheet,
you need to choose "nearest in time" or "most recent" for the price
source.   If you have only purchases and no sales of assets, you should
get a balanced balance sheet without my patch.

>Another question about the BS: why is there a date range in the title? Isn't
>the BS a snapshot at one point in time?

My experience is that the start date does nothing.  I suspect the range
is there because the range code was cut-pasted into the report from
somewhere else.

Dave