Multiuser in GnuCash

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 04:40:29 EST 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 6:45 am, Vincent Ngundi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to use GnuCash in a multiuser environment without using a
> postgre database backend? That is, using XML.

Depends on what you mean. GnuCash can be used by multiple users using separate
files - no surprise there.

However, GnuCash does lock the XML file that is currently loaded so multiple
users can't work on the same file without a warning. Simultaneous entry of
data into two versions of the same file in two instances of GnuCash is not
supported - saving the file from one instance will overwrite the changes made
in the other instance.

> I was asking if GnuCash can be used by multiple users using the same
> file

Sorry, my fault, my reply was meant for the list. (Distracted).

Multiple users can use the same file, just not at precisely the same time.
GnuCash will warn if the file is in use. In a multi-user environment,
ignoring that warning IS likely to cause data loss.

--

Neil Williams