How to organize three independent bank accounts

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Mar 21 15:35:03 EST 2005

In message <1111430862.11832.17.camel at localhost>, David Gil writes:

>Hi everybody!
>
>Soon I'm going to live with my girlfriend and we'd like to have a common
>bank account for the common expenses (rent, food,...) and besides we'd
>like to have personal bank accounts (music, clothes...), three in total.
>
>I don't know how to organize them in gnucash. All of them in one single
>file? Should I make one Assets account for every bank account? Should I
>make three different files?

Yes, make three files.

>I'd like some guidance to solve this problem. I really don't know how to
>begin.

Create two user accounts on your Linux box: one for you and one for your
girlfriend.  Put *your* personal GnuCASH file in your directory, owned by
you.  Have your girlfriend create a personal GnuCASH file in her
directory, owned by her.  Then create a new group (edit /etc/group),
call it say, 'SharedAccount', and your usernamne and your girlfriend's
username to this group. Then create a separate directory, say
/home/SharedFiles,  do a chmod to 'g+rws' on this directory and set it
gid to SharedAccount.  It does not matter what the uid is, but you
probably want it to be either you or your girlfriends uid.

Create the shared GnuCASH file there.

>Thnx!
>
>David Gil
>--
>Visita jorge.cortell.net
>Encrypted mail preferred (PGP KEY 0xCBDF3315 @ pgp.rediris.es)
>Plain text mail preferred
>JID: davik (AT) jabber.org MSN: davidgiloliv (AT) hotmail.com
>Linux User #180798

>signada digitalment
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   heller at cs.umass.edu