Invoice credit for wire transfer fees?

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Wed Mar 23 13:34:41 EST 2005

Process your invoices received for the full amount of the invoice
(before the deduction for wire fees) into a "Undeposited Funds" asset
account. Then make a "bank deposit" by transfering the NET amount (after
the wire fees) from Undeposited Funds into your gnucash account for the
bank account. Split the transaction and show a debit to undeposited
funds for the full amount of invoice, a credit to an expense account
called "banking fees" or "wire fees" or whatever, and a credit to the
bank account for the balance. It'll look like this:

In Accounts Receivable
Date                        Description      Account
Debit      Credit
01/01/05 I(nvoice) Customer 1
                                              Income
1000.00
                                              Acccounts Rcvbl
       1000.00
01/05/05 P(ayment) Customer 1
                                              Accounts Rcvbl       1000.00
                                              Undeposited Funds
      1000.00

In Undeposited Funds

01/05/05                     Customer1
                                              Undeposited Funds   1000.00
                                              Expenses:Wire Fees
         25.00
                                              Bank account
        975.00

That way the Net amount goes into the bank account, you record an
expense for the wire transfer, you record your income at the amount
actually billed, and your A/R stay current. I hope the above layout is
reasonably clear. Select all and set "fixed width font" if its not.