Invoice credit for wire transfer fees?

Kevin T. Broderick kbroderick at smcvt.edu
Wed Mar 23 18:32:43 EST 2005

On Mar 23, 2005, at 1:34 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> Process your invoices received for the full amount of the invoice
> (before the deduction for wire fees) into a "Undeposited Funds" asset
> account. Then make a "bank deposit" by transfering the NET amount
> (after the wire fees) from Undeposited Funds into your gnucash account
> for the bank account. Split the transaction and show a debit to
> undeposited funds for the full amount of invoice, a credit to an
> expense account called "banking fees" or "wire fees" or whatever, and
> a credit to the bank account for the balance. It'll look like this:
>
> [example CHOMPed[

>  That way the Net amount goes into the bank account, you record an
> expense for the wire transfer, you record your income at the amount
> actually billed, and your A/R stay current. I hope the above layout is
> reasonably clear. Select all and set "fixed width font" if its not.

[original situation CHOMPed]

What if the scenario is that the vendor (the original poster, in this
case) wants to discount the invoice by the amount of the wire fund
charge instead of showing it as a revenue and expense?  I'm not sure
what benefits may or may not result, as some scenarios make posting
greater revenue (even with greater expenses) desirable, and some
encourage the reverse, but I know I've heard of businesses seeking to
minimize posted revenue.

(feel free to tell me that discounting the invoice, rather than
pretending to be paid in full and taking an expense hit, would be a
violation of GAAP and/or legal requirements, if that is the case--IANA
but I find accounting practices interesting for some bizarre reason.)

Kevin Broderick / kbroderick at smcvt.edu