invoice, cost of goods sold, process payment question

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 24 10:33:01 EST 2005

John Griessen <john_g at cibolo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> How do I connect cost of goods sold to an inventory item sold
> on an invoice line?   Choices in creating the invoice seem to be
> income accounts called assets:inventory  and sales:services and then at the end
> is just the heading Liabilities with no detail and no Expenses which has COGS in it.
>
> Is there a way to add to the choices available in the invoice creation, or is
> there another way to use COGS?

Just like in the CoA, if you type in an account that does not exist,
GnuCash will ask you if you want to create it.

Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you; I've run a consulting
business so I've never had to deal with COGS.  One thing you CAN do,
however, is use the vendor bills when you purchase the goods, and
chargeback those items to the customer.  Then you've tied the purchase
to the sale.