year end, already !

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Sun Mar 27 12:30:56 EST 2005

David J Patrick wrote:
> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Submit the patches.  :)
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> David J Patrick <davidjpatrick at sympatico.ca> writes:
>>

>>> Just wanted to poke a stick into the developer hive, again, to plea
>>> for year-end thinking.
>
> If I could, I would !
> In the absence of coding skills, I was hoping to goad you talented few
> into placing "add year-end closing" to your crazy long lists.

ditto

> Isn't it time gnuCash got a sugar-daddy ??
> It's a great piece of software, arguably in the most-important-app
> category. It's success lowers the adoption threshold, of linux,

A lack of accounting software (rather my lack of awareness...) kept me
out of linux for a long time. Now that I'm in, I realise how much I
missed. At a minimum, djp, someone should write a spec for the feature
so that when they get to the bottom of the long list, it'll be easier to
implement.

Derek, how does that aspect work anyway, as far as spec'ing what parts
of the app should do? is it a seat of the pants thing? committee? user
input? just curious.

SURELY
> some bright light at some big company will see that the project is great
> but needs some husbanding.
> Might we mount an "adopt-an-application" campaign ? Y'know; say it with
> money, enough of it, and on-going !
> Who wants to be the forward thinking company behind gnuCash ?

Hear hear! Or how about another tack -- I own a small business. I would
happily put up X dollars a year to pick a function and pay for it to be
finished up. If we can gather a few like minded people together, each of
us kick down so many dollars and then the developers can put in the time
and finish up one aspect at a time?  Maybe there could be an estimated
cost per feature list and then small groups of people could layout the
dough for features they want to see implemented? Example -- developers
can say  "we think it takes 20 hours to implement X" at $y per hour that
costs $(20 x y). Start a campaign to raise that money and when its
raised, it gets done?

Just brainstorming...

Andrew