year end, already !

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Mar 27 13:52:23 EST 2005

  Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk>,
  In a message on Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:13:20 +0100, wrote :

NW> On Sunday 27 March 2005 4:27 pm, David J Patrick wrote:
NW> > Isn't it time gnuCash got a sugar-daddy ??
NW>
NW> Personally, I'd say no. Making GnuCash into a commercial operation would not
NW> get me producing a single line of extra code. Why should paying the
NW> developers magically produce more code? It just introduces deadlines and
NW> skews the direction of the program to toe the sponsor's line.
NW>
NW> However, if your idea was to get a sponsor to provide the *support* and take
NW> at least some of that off Derek's shoulders, I could see that being
NW> beneficial.
NW>
NW> Using current developer time more efficiently is certainly worthwhile.
NW>
NW> > It's a great piece of software, arguably in the most-important-app
NW> > category. It's success lowers the adoption threshold, of linux, SURELY
NW> > some bright light at some big company will see that the project is great
NW>
NW> They do see the merits of applications like GnuCash.
NW>
NW> > but needs some husbanding.
NW>
NW> Does it? It may need more development time but the leadership of the project
NW> is not, IMHO, in need of any help. There are practical things that need to be
NW> done to improve development speed but those are things like bug triage,
NW> documentation, contributing on the mailing lists, keeping the Wiki updated.

These are things that a 'sponsor' can cover, by providing people to do some
of these things.

NW> > Might we mount an "adopt-an-application" campaign ? Y'know; say it with
NW> > money, enough of it, and on-going !
NW>
NW> IMHO, money is neither the problem nor the solution to the RFE. Why do people
NW> assume so?

Money could pay for support people to deal with mundane things (like '... bug
triage, documentation, contributing on the mailing lists, keeping the
Wiki updated.'), which would free up developer time and resources for
actual coding.