Year-End solutions

David Brock david at tubits.com
Thu Mar 31 15:58:14 EST 2005

IANAA, however:

I have thought a little about this "closing entries on a particular
date" and in fact, I worked with an accounting system a long time ago,
when I knew less about accounting that I barely do now.

The closing entries in that system- the zeroing transactions that moved
all revenue and expense balances into retained earnings, were done in a
special period called "99".  Basically, some arbitrary day in the 99th
month of the year.  (as opposed to 12/31/YYYY, as Beth suggested)
Obviously, it was used only for this purpose, as a date with that month
would be non-sensical.  I suspect that the field was not a standard date
field, or the date-authentication method n the program must have been
over-ridden to include this as legitamite.

Presumably, there was a special case that could include or exclude that
period, on any and/or all years, from reporting.  If the period was
excluded in the report, then the multi-year reports will have meaning,
but otherwise, the running balance on the Income Statement Accounts (rev
& exp accounts), are cumulative for the year only, which is consistent
with the need to close out the year in the first place.

FWIW,

;-David