identifying sales tax

bri bhh_mail at mail.com
Thu May 12 11:50:15 EDT 2005

how are people handling sales tax? now that the IRS allows us to deduct
sales tax on items purchased, i want to keep track of it. my first take
was to do a split - $x to the actual expense category, then the $x that
was the sales tax from the receipt. that would work great, but then i
got to thinking... that means that my totals in the expense categories
are 'wrong'. not that i'm overly anal about whether i spent $100 on
something or $108.25 but.... it would add up and does create an
inconsistency.

so is there another way to do it? i looked briefly but couldn't tell -
can i do a report (i know.. i can probably write my own.. :-) that pulls
out all transactions/splits that have 'sales tax' in the description?
that way, i could still do a split, 1 w/ the sales tax amount and the
other with the rest of the price, both going to the expense category,
but the sales tax would be identified so that i could run a report at
the end of the year that would add it all up.

thoughts? has anyone else solved this?

thx.bri.