Setting financial year

Stewart V. Wright svwright.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 17 17:54:27 EDT 2005

G'day Ashley,

* Ashley Kitson <akitson at bbcb.co.uk> [050517 16:31]:
> It strikes me that perhaps the developers are not versed in simple (and
> I do mean simple) business accounting.  Hard coding a financial year end
> is absurd.  There appears to be some big holes in the business
> functionality (the vendor/customer/ selection process is extraordinary
> for instance [no one heard of type-ahead?], no bulk post etc etc.) But
> hey ho, I can always go and use Sage I suppose. Shame really as I've
> been using gnucash for a couple of years.

This is heading into the unpleasant territory of a couple of weeks ago
where someone had a bitch about what wasn't working, spat the dummy
and left.  Please be supportive of the developers and not just
complain.

You think there are "simple" business accounting components missing?
Don't just say that and let it go.  You don't want to contribute code?
Fine, contribute something else.  I was thinking about budgeting a 18
or so months ago.  I wrote some thoughts down, emailed them around,
people contributed, we had some discussions and some code (different
to what I first envisioned, but a better formulation) started
appearing.

Can I claim responsibility?  No!  However we (the GnuCash community)
bounced some ideas around and those of us who had a desire, but
couldn't contribute code at the time had a say and there was POSITIVE
feedback.

You want something added?  File a request.  List the things that would
make GC work better in the business environment you are in.  Get
feedback, work with other people, half a dozen emails from you and a
few other people will clarify the issue and then you will probably get
what you want.

Contribute positively, or don't say anything.  Emails with broad brush
complaints doesn't help anyone.

I think the developers are doing a great job.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

S.