gnucash and Mac OS X 10.4

Kevin T. Broderick kbroderick at smcvt.edu
Wed May 25 14:18:39 EDT 2005

On 25 May 2005, at 11:27 AM, Mike Zanker wrote:

> On 25/05/2005 14:36, Kevin T. Broderick wrote:
>

>> I'll agree wholeheartedly with that statement.  Gnucash is *really*
>> slow-starting for me on Tiger compared to Panther, but I don't think
>> it's just gnucash--I've noticed the same thing with gimp-2.2 and I
>> perceived something similar with another package (although I now
>> forget
>> which package).  I did switch from xfree86 to xorg packages  shortly
>> before switching to tiger, so I'm not sure if that could be
>> related or
>> not (I was thinking that it might be).
>>

> Have you tried updating prebinding, with
>
>     "sudo update_prebinding -files /sw/lib/*"
>
>   and
>
>     "sudo update_prebinding -files /sw/bin/*"
>
> ?

I had not, and now I have.  My perception is that things are much
improved, particularly once the splash screen appears.  However, it
is still taking 30+ seconds for the gnucash splash screen to appear
(counting from the time I hit [ENTER] to execute "gnucash &" in the
terminal window).  Gimp, meanwhile, takes a rather long time at the
"Modules" stage of the startup as it loads its various components.
I'm not terribly worried about either, as I can live with long
startup times if the actual execution behavior is acceptable, which
it seems to be here.

(With that said, having things start up quickly is nice, too, and I'd
obviously be interested in other ideas to speed up the process.)

Kevin Broderick / kbroderick at smcvt.edu