Help needed with crashing

Paul Schwartz pmjs1115 at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 22:35:11 EDT 2005

--- Beth Leonard <beth at oasis.slimy.com> wrote:
> [forgot to cc: the list, sorry Paul, you'll get two
> copies.]
>
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 01:18:47PM -0700, Paul
> Schwartz wrote:
> > Then I went to look at reports.  The profit/loss
> > report that I last used and saved, had disappeared
> > from its usual place in the menu.  It was now
> under
> > custom reports, and when I selected it, the
> program
> > crashed [disappeared].
> >
> > I suppose that this is related to my startup
> problem
> > [but I don't really know :-(].
>
> Hi,
>
> Anytime it crashes, you'll get those lock file
> problems, you
> did the right thing removing them.
>
> About the cause of the crash itself, there are
> several possible
> reasons.  Can you run gnucash from a terminal
> (instead of clicking
> on it from a menu) and mail the output to the list?
> That might
> give us some clue as to what went wrong.
>
> Frequently the problem is that your locale is set to
> a utf-8
> locale and some character in your report is not
> handled by
> gnucash.  Gnucash is not yet updated to utf-8 (it's
> coming
> with the g2 port).  To solve the problem, you need
> to set your
> locale before starting gnucash.
>
> To test if this solves your problem, follow the
> directions here:

http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GnuCashFaq#Q:_How_do_I_make_reports_not_display_the_same_strange_character_.28e.g._dashed_outlined_box.29_before_each_desired_character.3F

{clip}

Following the wiki procedure; I set LANG to en_US; it
had been C.
If I execute gnucash from the command line with the
name of the data file as an argument I get
Segmentation fault

If I just execute gnucash, then my file comes up; then
if I go to select the Custom report Profit/Loss, I get
the Segmentation fault.

That's it.  Doesn't seem to give a lot of clues to me.
 Hope it means something to you.

Paul