Generic Import Transaction Matcher empty - revisited

James Roman digitect at comcast.net
Sun Nov 20 10:02:15 EST 2005

I've read the previous thread. Unfortunately after finally getting my
system updated enough to install the gnucash-1.8.12-3.i586.rpm from
ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/GNOME/update_for_10.0/applications I still can not import OFX files from my bank.

So here are the details:
I upgraded to SuSE 10 after having the same issue with SuSe 9.3.
Intel Laptop
Gnucash version: 1.8.12
libofx version: 0.8.0-3
Numerous new applications/libraries needed to meet install requirements
for gnucahs, including aqbanking (built from source rpm), gwenhywfar
(built from source rpm), libchipcard2 (built from source), openhbci
(from SuSE), a bunch of XML parsing and internationalization libraries

In a new gnucash file I was able to import my initial checking OFX file
from my bank (about 6 months old, containing about 3 months worth of
transactions) to build my accounts. I import the savings OFX file from
my bank, and it imports (asking me for an account). The next OFX import
of my checking, tries to import into savings account. (I think I have
this issue identified, and a work around identified. My bank identifies
all account types (checking, savings, money market) under the same
account number) After, using a bogus account for a savings import, I was
able to import the next checking account OFX export file into my gnucahs
checking account. When I go to import the checking account export OFX,
the Genric Import Transaction Matcher is empty. In the version provided
with SuSE 10, there was an error if I ran gnucash with --debug. But now,
I don't see anything of much value. If I run with --loglevel 6, I see
one message about it discarding transaction due to a duplicate
transaction number, however, it looks like that is on one record, not
the entire import. If I use ofxdump on the checking export OFX files,
after a few unrecognized container entries are noted to standard error,
I get a full listing of the transactions (Note: I get the same standard
error messages on the initial working OFX export file.) I notice that
the entry "Financial institution's ID for this transaction" starts at 1
and increments for each transaction for each OFX dump. Is this number
supposed to be unique for each successive transaction?

Given the effort and additional libraries I needed to find outside the
distribution, I'm not surprised that a newer version has not been
included in SuSE (although I attribute it to laziness, without any other
explanation from them). Can anyone provide some suggestions on how to
address this?