Gnucash Reports Archive

Gregory Novak novak at ucolick.org
Tue Nov 22 12:22:59 EST 2005

Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> writes:
> Gregory Novak <novak at ucolick.org> writes:
>> I've thought for a long time now that it would be useful if there were
>> a central place to post/get code for reports.  If one person takes the
>> time to write/customize a report, it seems very likely that another
>> person would also find the report useful.
>
> No such thing exists..  And when someone DOES create a new
> report we put it into the sources pretty quick.  AFAIK no
> new reports have been written at all recently.

It sounds like you feel that such a thing would be useless/redunant.
Is it really the case that either 1) Everyone who writes reports is
willing/able to pull them into a form that's general enough, useful
enough, and reliable enough to be included with Gnucash itself, or 2)
All useful reports for Gnucash has already been written?

The reports that I wrote for myself were a hacked up,
half-implemented, unreliable implementation of budgeting for Gnucash.
Such a monstrosity could never have been included with Gnucash itself,
but I nevertheless sometimes found it somewhat useful.  I could
imagine that other brave souls might have found it useful, too, and it
might have grown into something reasonable if other people were
looking at it/using it as well.

However, the fact that there were no responses to my previous post
along the lines of "Yes, I have some rough-edged reports that others
might be interested in" is perhaps confirmation that what I suggested
wouldn't see much use.

Greg