Retained Earnings

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 22 18:44:29 EST 2005

The Balance Sheet in 1.8 is a little confusing.  The version in SVN is
better. Basically, the retained earnings computation is trying to mimic
the "closing
the books" by computing the Income and Expense differences between the
time the
balance sheet is run and the time the books would have been "closed" as Net
Profit, and the values at that time as the Retained Earnings.

In other words, it's computing what would happen if you zeroed out your Income
and Expense accounts at the start of the period.

-derek