/usr/local/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid ELF header

Morris Walton morris.walton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 00:10:04 EST 2005

I downloaded and rebuilt the source for guile-1.6.7, and g-wrap-1.9.6,
but i kept running into the same issue.

This thread offers clues to what it was:

http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2004-October/012145.html

It has to do with configure/libtool thinking you use *.a instead of
*.so.

This is what you want:
configure:13555: checking if libtool supports shared libraries
configure:13557: result: yes
configure:13564: checking whether to build shared libraries
configure:13585: result: yes
configure:13592: checking whether to build static libraries
configure:13596: result: no

I want to think I copied a utility from the other build directories to
get the configure to specify shared libraries, but for the life of me I
can't find evidence of that now.