I'm in trouble with make again

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 06:29:47 EST 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 11:05 am, Tor Harald Thorland wrote:
> So now when autogen doesn't take any argument, then I shall only supply
> them to configure?

Yes.

> And another thing, after the checkout of the SVN, do I then only need to
> run make & make install?

Generally, make will re-run autogen when required but it depends on the kind
of changes made in the update. Changes to libraries or removal of sections of
code generally mean a full rebuild.

> Or is there sometimes when I need to run the
> autogen & configure again?

I run make first, then run a script if make fails. The script starts:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Building SVN gnucash HEAD with internal QOF into /opt/garfield/gnucash."
rm -rf /opt/garfield/gnucash/
cd /opt/svn/gnucash/
./autogen.sh

etc.

> Where do you get/find this info (like that this function is now removed
> and other)

Subscribe to gnucash-changes and/or gnucash-patches mailing lists to see what
is happening in each commit. Watch for files being removed or comments in the
log messages about changing libraries. Also, if you do join one or other of
those lists, keep an eye on whether the commit is to gnucash/trunk or a
branch:

This kind of commit you should look at:
[Gnucash-changes] r12021 - gnucash/trunk/

This kind you can ignore:
[Gnucash-changes] r11993 - gnucash/branches/

Your translation work only cares about trunk - the branches contain unstable
code that isn't ready for the main tree yet.

You can also check the web archive for each list if that's easier than
subscribing:
http://www.gnucash.org/en/lists.phtml

> So I don't have to ask all these questions later (Just experience I
> think..)

You can't always tell - especially when you are new to the codebase. It's just
a case of using the shortcuts first (make) and if that fails, changing to a
more thorough process, like the removal of the installed libraries and a full
make distclean.

So always try a make. If that fails, remove the installed libraries, use make
distclean and start at autogen.sh

--

Neil Williams